Tuesday 11 March 2008

At the Airport

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
- Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin

Last week J made me a vegan chocolate cake for my return from Queenstown. It was not only his first vegan cake baking adventure, but actually his first cake so I was very proud of him. We demolished it pretty quickly despite me having come down with some awful viral infection upon my return.

I was terrified I was going to be stranded in Queenstown another night, sick and desperate for real food and a real bed (I’ve decided I’m not a big fan of hotels when you have to go out every night to get food which is made even more difficult with food allergies and eating preferences). It was misty with rain and Qantas wasn’t flying at all. The lady at the Air New Zealand check in counter was not exactly encouraging when she told me that my plane hadn’t managed to land yet and then proceeded to hand me a sheet of paper detailing what happens if a flight is cancelled. Luckily they did manage to fly me out. I can’t tell you how glad I was to finally land back in Auckland (and how awful a flight is if you’re sick). Waiting at the baggage claim was tedious though. It always seems that there is a lot of luggage that no one owns that comes out first and goes round and round and round while everyone stands around, getting increasingly impatient, waiting for theirs to appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment