Wednesday 12 March 2008

Cooking with Veganomicon

"If you go on flirting with the king with those sickly little smiles, one of us Boleyns is going to scratch your eyes out."
- The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

J and I were both home sick most of last week (well, I was sick ALL week). Finally having a bit more of an appetite by Thursday I made the banana-date scones from Veganomicon (I love that my library has the brilliant forsight to order good books from overseas before I have to hassle them about it) except as we had no dates (and no flaxseed in the flat…the texture was still awesome though) they were more of the banana-walnut variety. They went down so well I had a hankering for them again in the weekend. J wanted savoury scones though so I concocted some corn and sundried tomato scones as well with the leftovers from a tin of creamed sweetcorn.

I also made the famous chickpea cutlets ( I thought I might as well get the most out of the cookbook while I’ve got it out!) for dinner on Sunday. I’m really not sure what all the fuss is about. They were okay but hardly amazing or anything. Perhaps they would have been better pan fried (we baked them) but still…maybe it’s ‘cause I’m not a great fan of seitan or wheat gluten. Hmmmm. Luckily I made some cashew gravey to go with them otherwise it might have been quite a bland meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment