Tuesday 23 September 2008

Shall you be 19 or 61 today?

"You can only see things clearly with your heart. What is essential is invisible to the eye."
- The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

There is no reprise from celebration…!

It was my sister-in-law’s birthday a couple of weeks ago, Mum’s last week and Father’s day thrown in there somewhere too. We went round to my parents’ on the Friday to celebrate all three of those recent September occasions (can we throw in a celebration for spring as well?!). Since it was such a momentous occasion (okay, just a couple of birthdays and a rather belated Father’s day) we needed a pretty impressive cake.

It wasn’t until about 5 minutes before I started cooking (at some ungodly hour of the evening the night before) that I’d worked out what I was going to make…a 4 layered chocolate/coconut cake adapted from several different recipes (the chocolate part was mostly a smaller version of the Black Forest Chocolate Cake in Damn Tasty Vegan Baking Guide but the coconut part was a sort of ‘make it up on the spot’ kind of thing).


On transporting it to Mum’s it moved under our makeshift cover and upon lifting the lid I nearly freaked out to discover it on the far side of the plate on a rather scary angle. Luckily it had held together so well that it was fairly easy to slide back to the centre of the plate but I was definitely worried for a moment.


Mum joked that she could be 19 with this cake (turn the numbers round upside down)!

8 comments:

  1. Hehe my mom jokes that once she turned 26, she didn't age anymore. So every birthday, she turns 26.

    I'd be ANY age if it meant I could have some of that cake! It's gorgeous-- and 4 layers?! WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't care how old I am...I want that cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. whatta gorgeous cake, even though it tried to make a run for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant cake! I am glad you didn't have a disaster with it at that scary angle!

    It is huge- I bet it was sooo yummy!I think chocolate and coconut go really well together and would have prevented the cake being too rich (so you can eat bigger pieces ; ) )

    Now I just need to talk my mum into baking it.. haha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! the layers look as light as air and so dangerously good!I bet the recipient was ecstatic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey thanks guys! Mum really liked the cake which was cool but then again she likes anything she doesn't have to make!! It's kind of deceptively tall since the cake pan I used isn't very big so anything you make in it automatically ends up taller than normal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A four layer cake... wow! Now that is impressive.

    ReplyDelete