Wednesday 16 September 2009

Rummaging around

A night bird trilled. The world was so big, and the night sky was so full of glimmering light!
-
Tailchaser's Song by Tad Williams

If I haven't thought in advance (which is pretty much all the time...and if I have planned in advance I'll have forgotten what I planned), I never know what I'm going to have for dinner until I actually get into the kitchen and have a rummage around for what I've got and what I feel up to doing. This particular dinner was a case of opening the pantry and going, umm, what shall I eat tonight? I saw a can of creamed corn and thought, 'hmmm, corn fritters sound good.' But I thought I'd add some chickpeas to the mix for some protein (and 'cause chickpeas are delicious).


I served the fritters with mango chutney, sliced capsicum and avocado, steamed broccoli with tahini ('cause I can never be bothered making a proper sauce), hummus and the last raw flaxseed cracker from a pack I bought at
Huckleberry Farms out of curiosity. Quick and delicious.

In case you were interested, here's a really rough recipe for the fritters. Bear in mind I didn't actually measure anything but it's pretty forgiving so you can pretty much do what ever you like.

Corn and Chickpea Fritters

half a can of chickpeas (drained)
half a can of creamed corn
½ tsp baking powder
approx ¹⁄₈ cup polenta
approx ³⁄₈ cup wholemeal flour
1 Tbsp yeast flakes
1 Tbsp sweet chilli sauce
½ Tbsp ground flaxseed mixed with 1 Tbsp rice milk
a sprinkling of chilli and lime seasoning


Mash the chickpeas up with a fork then mix in the rest of the ingredients (super easy!). Heat up your fry pan and spoon heaped tablespoons of the mixture into the pan once it's heated. Flatten slightly. Cook on both sides until golden brown (or just brown...I put the golden part in there 'cause it sounded fancy!). Makes enough for 2 people (and it keeps in the fridge for a couple of days as well...it might keep longer but my mixture never lasts that long!).

1 comment:

  1. It looks damn tasty for a rummage around in the cupboard meal. :) I love corn fritters!

    ReplyDelete