Monday 16 August 2010

Doing a 180...

Ross was unsure about leaving Joe in Danny's house. He could imagine what she'd do if she arrived home unexpectedly and discovered a stranger ripping out her toilet.
-
Knotted by Michelle Holman

...also known as Sunday in Christchurch.

We ate porridge, went orienteering (otherwise known as running round in circles and standing round in the freezing cold afterwards), sat in front of the fire and ate peanut butter sandwiches. Oh, and I got asked to do the
World Rogaine Champs. ARGH!!!! Exciting!!!!!! (in case you hadn't worked it out, that was exciting news number 2).

Moving on. In the afternoon B and I popped into his local mall to, well, do mall stuff (well, actually to go to the supermarket but we got distracted). On our way through I saw this...


Personally this could almost be exciting news number 3 but you might laugh at me. Beauty and the Beast is, like, my favourite movie of all time (okay, maybe a close second after The Princess Bride). And now it's in 3D!

Anyway, once I'd calmed down from that excitement, we popped over to visit D at her motel to eat cake...certain celebrations always need cake right?


I like cake (although making them in B's kitchen is not quite so good since it is lacking in some vital equipment so it's lucky I brought my cake pan down with me)!


Then for dinner we went to the
Dux de Lux which is a vegetarian and seafood pub (I think they used to be solely vegetarian but they now serve seafood as well). With heaps of the meals you get a salad on the side (which you get to pick). There were 2 vegan options this time so I went with both...a tofu and vege one and a green salad. The tofu salad was divine.


I also really like their (alcoholic) ginger beer. You may have noticed I like ginger and since discovering that alcohol, in moderation, is really not that scary, this is a very nice drink.


We wanted kumara chips but it was not to be (they were sold out) so we settled with buffalo wedges. This plate destroyed us and we left way too many on the plate for my liking but my stomach was just not gonna take any more.


For my main I ordered the corn and vegetable fritters which are served with a beetroot chutney. I had these last time I was here but I didn't feel like the Indian dish and I can get a red tofu curry up in Auckland any day. Plus I like corn fritters. They were better than I remembered too.


So all in all another pretty much perfect day...

3 comments:

  1. Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line!

    (or)

    Try the grey stuff! It's delicious! Don't believe me? Ask the dishes!

    HEART HEART HEART. You and me, Vaala. We were destined to be friends.

    Also because I, too, have recently realised that it's okay to drink more than two beers in an entire year, and because I will quite happily yell CONGRATULATIONS on your exciting news without you ever having to worry I've start competing against you in such endeavours ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Congratulations, champ! And I am seriously considering going to see Beauty & the Beast in 3D, which is saying a lot because I don't like the cinemas that play 3D in Townsville and have missed some movies I've really wanted to see as a result (Alice in Wonderland, mainly).

    Cute celebration-cake!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look like a perfect day! The cake looks delicious as does your meal & the wedges. And I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast since I was much younger, I should see it again!

    ReplyDelete