Thursday 5 August 2010

Ready for takeoff

The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.
-
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Oh man, SO busy!!! At least I'm slightly more awake than yesterday where I walked around in a bit of a dream after 3 hours of sleep. A concert (
Band of Horses...it was awesome) followed by some girly time followed by cats keeping me up followed by a tiny slab of sleep snuck in somewhere followed by my 5am alarm for training is guaranteed to fry your brain especially after you've already had a string of late nights/early mornings before this. My alarm went off at a similar time this morning but I decided training could wait. I have epic plans for the next 3 days so some sleep was probably a good idea (although I still feel a tad scatterbrained).


Anyway, I got back from a whirlwind trip to Christchurch on Monday night, repacked my bags and headed over to my cousin's flat to look after her cats for the week. The best thing about Christchurch (apart from hanging out with my best friend) is the food. I dream about this food! In fact, I planned my flight down on Thursday afternoon especially so I could make it there in time for dinner. It meant I had to leave work early but hey, some things are more important!!

Dinner at
Govinda's Vegetarian Restaurant. I think this meal was, like, $5 which is dirt cheap and gets you a decent amount of curry, savory pastries and rice.


Dessert was the best damn ginger slice ever...I have been trying to replicate it with no success so far (not that my versions haven't been delicious but just not quite up to this standard...I'm working on it!).


There is much more food and adventuring to come (hey, I was there Thursday to Monday and there is a lot of eating you can do in that time). Oh, and some exciting news (well, if you're me anyway). Stay tuned.

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, exciting news! Do tell!

    I'm so glad you said you opted for sleep instead of training... I would have had serious issues about your sanity if you hadn't ;)

    I also believe you should keep working on the ginger slice recipe. I want to reap the benefits after you've perfected it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, ginger slice! I haven't had many experiences with slices, because when I was just a vegetarian I lived on college and didn't get out much, and then when I came back I was vegan (Americans don't do slice, for some reason). So I've missed out on the opportunities to partake in such Aussie&Kiwi treats. So I hopehopehope that you share your ginger slice recipe, when it's ready, so I can try some slice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Right, I will keep you both posted on my ginger slice experiment. Hmmm, wonder why Americans don't do slice. After cake, slice is my next favourite baked good.

    Hannah, I think you should have serious issues with my sanity as it is. My family does every time they read my training log or ask me what events I've got coming up.

    Exciting news...will come shortly (and probably won't be nearly as exciting as you may expect but at least I'm excited).

    ReplyDelete